Friday, August 10, 2012

Helpfulness

Helpfulness

"For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it (1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NASB)."

Definition (adjective): giving or rendering aid or assistance; of service (Dictionary.com).


Actual or perceived needs are met or attempted to be met through helpfulness in a measured plan of attack or in openness to respond when an opportunity to serve or to help arises. When helpfulness meets an actual need there is usually a response of thankfulness and gratitude. There are needs we try to meet that we perceive to be real or pressing, but may not be. In fact, the ones in perceived need may not even want help, so to such aid and helpfulness a response of ungratefulness, surprise, or annoyance and  irritation - "I didn't need (or want) your help." or "What, you didn't think I could do it myself?" There are many ex-helpers around to suggest that we are not always prudent in our helpfulness. We may not even always be selfless in our helpfulness, like we noticed could be a trap in our caring for others. Helpers motivated by unconditional outward care stay helpers longer and with less bitterness or unforgiveness than self centered helpers who require thanks or reciprocation for aid. With us living inside out instead of outside in, we can let go of ourselves enough to reach anyone, even if it means adjusting or changing like Paul did to save some.


Prayers: We pray our child will be moved in spirit to help others selflessly; and move by Your Spirit for the timing and ways to help. Your timing is perfect and Your nature is unparalleled, and it is Your ways that we desire our child to follow. May our child learn to not hold tight to reputation, but be willing to become all things for all men, at Your leading, to save some and encourage many into a personal connection with You for full redemption. We ask for Your strength and help to show and fully reveal Your true nature Father as we remain in Christ and walk by Your Spirit as individual parts of a whole body. We honor You for the provision and supply and are grateful for our place of stewardship to jointly supply strength to Your body by Your grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment